jueves, 30 de marzo de 2017

Windows 10 crashing, can't update OS, and now "Activate Windows" watermark gaming computer builder

TLDR: I'm on Windows 10. Computer crashes occasionally and when I try to update the OS. Now I have an "Activate Windows" watermark even though my install is legit.

For a while now, my computer crashes on occasion. It doesn't happen too often so I never really cracked down on it. Most of the times it's a blue screen with errors: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION or WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. Rarely it'll shut down instantly without any warning and then start right back up.

Besides this, windows has been bugging me to update for a long time. Eventually it will not give me an option and force me to. Every time it does, it crashes and the process repeats. Again, it only happens on occasion so I never tried to fix it.

I also tried sfc /scannow and, at first, it did say there were problems. Now, after running it a few times, it says it did not find any integrity violations.

The other day, when I booted up my PC, I got the "Activate Windows" watermark. Going into settings and hitting activate didn't do anything (just a loading icon for a second and then nothing). The last four digits of the product key displayed does not match my windows 7 product key either. Although, I imagine this just means they gave me a new key when I upgraded. Now, the activate button is completely gone so the only buttons that are there are either "Change product key" or "Go to Store". The "Go to Store" button doesn't even work! It says "Try that again" and provides an error code of 1.

The last time I reinstalled windows, was when I just got a new SSD and the upgrade to Windows 10 things was happening. I told myself this would be the last time I reinstalled Windows because I heard read/writes on SSDs can reduce it's health. Also, if I had to reinstall Window 10 after the year it was free, I wouldn't have the option of reformatting the disk. I thought I did a good job of keeping my PC healthy and fast but now I have these seemingly random problems.

I'm a bit lost as to what I should do now. When it comes to reinstalling the OS, I'm worried about my SSD's health. Also, if I reset windows through what's available in the OS, will that even completely fix it? It seems like my Windows install is messed up, so how do I know that the reset will perform the way it's supposed to? And then once I reset will I still have this activate windows problem?

I'd appreciate any help.

submitted by /u/foshizzle97
[link] [comments]

from computers https://www.reddit.com/r/computers/comments/62hhly/windows_10_crashing_cant_update_os_and_now/
via IFTTT
pc building website

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario