sábado, 1 de julio de 2017

Found out you can boot from A: drive - embarking on the journey of "Lets put an MS-DOS partition on our machine for 0 reason" gaming computer builder

As the title said - I didn't know you could do that until my computer started giving me shit for leaving a documents floppy in the drive after I shut down for transferring (I run an old Windows 95 laptop for some work and old games - pretty much distraction free because Reddit is a lot quicker to boot than a real game when I'm working.)

So I learned more than a few things tonight actually.

1.) Computers are neat.

2.) What NTFS and HPFS are.

3.) FDISK cannot work with NTFS partitions or with FAT32 partitions made by Windows 7 it seems. Still haven't tried with regular FAT - likely will tomorrow when this is neat again.

4.) If you switch your partition while faffing about on the A: drive in FDISK and don't switch back to your OS partition, your computer will remember that and try to boot to the blank X: drive rather than the shiny Windows 7 C: drive.

5.) Because of 4? Computers are also stupid.

6.) Windows Repair is useless unless you prepare to use it. It was also useless in this situation even if I had prepared to use it.

7.) If you use DISKPART in the command prompt in the repair tool and switch your active partition to your OS partition rather than the 100 MB System-Reserved partition? Your computer still won't boot because it won't use any of the boot management software.

8.) If I keep at this I should probably invest the time into quickly burning a GUI partition manager to a CD just to save myself the time of faffing about in the Command Prompt.

I think this was a good set of lessons to learn. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to get MS-DOS and Windows 95 working on my comp - it'd be nice to just have and I'm bored enough to keep trying.

submitted by /u/Artyom150
[link] [comments]

from computers https://www.reddit.com/r/computers/comments/6km2hq/found_out_you_can_boot_from_a_drive_embarking_on/
via IFTTT
pc building gaming

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario