lunes, 24 de abril de 2017

I solved my "Comcast modem keeps disconnecting problem!" gaming computer builder

Before you do anything else, move your modem away from anything that could be emitting RFID: Computer, laptop, table, smartphone, wireless printer, router, etc.

Backstory: Recently I began experiencing connectivity issues with my computer/modem/router assembly. I was completely unable to connect to the internet. I had an old Docsis Surfboard 6121 3.0 modem. I tried various things, such as checking the cables, connecting and disconnecting the modem and router, etc. I called Comcast, my cable internet provider, and they reset the modem several times, and said that the problem could be the router.

I then called Netgear customer support. I was rather strong-armed into purchasing an expensive tech support package. Faced with possible ongoing problems and having no idea what the problem might be, I made the purchase. Over the next few days I spent approximately NINE HOURS on the phone with tech support. We reset the modem and router. We removed and replaced drivers. My cellphone, tablet and the other user on the network were able to connect wirelessly. The Netgear representative pronounced the router to be sound, and said that the problem was likely my computer. So, I had spent the better part of an entire day on the phone and spent $200 on NOTHING.

I called HP, as I had an HP all-in-one that was about 13 months old. As it was JUST out of warranty (of course), I had to purchase an extended care package, which carries a $70 termination fee. We troubleshot exhaustively, and finally attempted to do a System Recovery, which failed. The HP representative pronounced my computer to be dead, and suggested I needed a new one.

I bought a new computer. It cost 500.00.

Upon connecting the new computer, I immediately began experiencing the same connectivity issues. The modem kept resetting itself. I again called Comcast Cable and the representative, presented with the facts to date, said that my modem was at the end of its life. I could accept that as the modem was quite old.

I bought a new modem. It cost $100.00

Upon connecting the new modem, I immediately began experiencing the same connectivity issues! I had now spent approximately $1000.00 and was unable to connect to the internet. I'm not a weeper but wow, I was at my wits' end. I need this computer as I work from home about 50% of the time, inputting data and uploading photos, making reports etc. This situation was baffling and unacceptable!

I called Comcast cable, and the representative said that the issue was probably that my internet service was too slow, and that I might have a better time with the Blast service (I had recently downgraded). I consented to allow the service to be upgraded again to Blast.

It didn't work.

I called Comcast again and demanded (I was a little upset at this point) a technician come out and test the lines. The tech was experienced (I thought), and tested both outside and inside lines and pronounced them to be sound. He said my brand new modem might be new out of the box however it was not the latest and possibly could not handle the internet service.

Rather than spend another cent on anything, I started to scour the internet for other possibilities. One experienced writer said that it would likely be an 80% probability the problem was connectivity. Now I knew that the connectivity was not the problem. Other possibilities were slim, but I was willing to try anything. One, which he said was about a one percent probability, was RFID from the computer or other items affecting the connection. They suggested the modem always be about 3-5 feet away from the computer and other wifi items. So, I moved the modem to a bookshelf, about four feet away from the computer.

I have not had an issue since.

submitted by /u/Butshebites
[link] [comments]

from computers https://www.reddit.com/r/computers/comments/678van/i_solved_my_comcast_modem_keeps_disconnecting/
via IFTTT
pc building website

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario